DVT Pumps are pneumatic compression pumps designed to prevent people from getting deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be life-threatening. DVT Compression Pumps deliver pressure to increase blood flow in the venous system of the limbs so that blood does not clot.
What is DVT
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
It is the formation of a blood clot (Thrombus) within a deep vein, most commonly the legs.
This happens due to reduced blood flow mainly due to long term immobilization.
Pulmonary Embolism (PE): Most dangerous and potentially fatal consequence of DVT. Occurs ehwn a blood clot detaches and travels to the heart, blocking the arteries.
Patients are usually asymptomatic until the occurrence of a fatal PE
DVT and PE together are termed as Venous Thrombosis (VTE)
Adverse effects of DVT are
- Post- Thrombotic Syndrome:
- DVT causes rupture of small superficial veins and increases pressure in the deep veins and capillaries
- This causes Pain, Swelling, varicose veins, ulcers
- PTS can affect 23-60% of patients in the two years following DVT of the leg.
- Treatment options for PTS include proper leg elevation, compression therapy, or electrostimulation devices, pharmacotherapy (pentoxifylline), herbal remedies (such as horse chestnut, rutosides), and wound care for leg ulcers.